Aktosun, Spring 2023, Math 5322
Instructor: Tuncay Aktosun, PKH 461, (817) 272-1545,
- Course: Complex Variables I, Math 5322, Section 001, Course number 24947
- Prerequisite: Math 5307 (Mathematical Analysis I)
- Office Hours: 2:20 pm-3:20 pm, Monday and Wednesday and by appointment (all virtual)
- Classroom: PKH 105 (Pickard Hall 105)
- Classtime: 1:00 pm-2:20 pm, Monday and Wednesday
- Textbook: There is not an official textbook for the course.
- Some useful books:
Richard A. Silverman,
Introductory complex analysis, Dover Publ., New York, 1984.
- L. Ahlfors,
Complex analysis, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hil, New York, 1979.
- J. Brown and R. Churchill, Complex variables and applications, 8th ed., McGraw-Hil, New York, 2008.
M. J. Ablowitz and A. S. Fokas, Complex variables: Introduction and applications, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2003.
A. I. Markushevich,
Theory of functions of a complex variable, 2nd ed., AMS Chelsea Publishing, Providence, RI, 1977.
- V. I. Smirnov, A course of higher mathematics,
volume III, part two, Pergamon Press, Reading, MA, 1964.
R. E. Greene and S. G. Krantz,
Function theory of one complex variable, 3rd ed., AMS Publ., Providence, RI, 2006.
M. R. Spiegel, S. Lipschutz, J. J. Schiller, and D. Spellman, Schaum's outline complex variables, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2009.
The covered material
includes analytic functions,
complex series, complex integration,
residues and poles,
contour integration, and conformal mapping.
The topics to be covered are indicated in the
A letter grade will be assigned based on a class
Unless otherwise indicated, all
grades out of 100 will correspond to the following scale: 0 <
F< 60, 60 < D < 70, 70 < C < 80, 80 < B
< 90, 90 < A < 100.
Sample problems 1
Sample problems 2
Sample problems 3
Sample problems 4
Biographies of mathematicians
Complex analysis (wikipedia)
Lecture notes from February 1, 2023
Lecture video from February 1, 2023
- Tuncay Aktosun
Last modified: February 1, 2023